[SunHELP] Restarting DNS after emergency re-installation of the O/S

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Sun Jun 15 11:57:15 CDT 2003

On Sunday, June 15, 2003, at 06:34 AM, Nigel Trivass wrote:

>  My question is this: Should we simply restart named on the primary
> server once it has been rebuilt and the original DNS configuration
> files
> have been copied onto the master server?  Are there any other steps we
> have to take to ensure that DNS will work as exactly as it did prior to
> the rebuild? Any help very gratefully appreciated.  Nigel Trivass

If the new server has it's original IP address and BIND configuration
files, there should be no reason why you couldn't restart BIND once the
server is installed to your specs.

However, even according to the ISC's website, if you're using BIND 4.x
then you should be running version 4.9.9, as prior versions (including
4.9.4) have security issues. Preferably, you should be running at least
Solaris 8 with BIND versions 8.x or 9.x.

/ek
http://elektronkind.org/