[SunHELP] Restarting DNS after emergency re-installation ofthe O/S

Nigel Trivass trivass at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 15 12:06:20 CDT 2003

Thanks for the info Dale.

I'll pass the details onto the relevant people.

>From: Dale Ghent >Reply-To: The SunHELP List >To: The SunHELP List
>Subject: Re: [SunHELP] Restarting DNS after emergency re-installation
ofthe O/S >Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2003 12:57:15 -0400 > >On Sunday, June 15,
2003, at 06:34 AM, Nigel Trivass wrote: > >> My question is this: Should
we simply restart named on the >>primary >>server once it has been
rebuilt and the original DNS configuration >>files >>have been copied
onto the master server? Are there any other steps >>we >>have to take to
ensure that DNS will work as exactly as it did >>prior to >>the rebuild?
Any help very gratefully appreciated. Nigel Trivass > >If the new server
has it's original IP address and BIND >configuration files, there should
be no reason why you couldn't >restart BIND once the server is installed
to your specs. > >However, even according to the ISC's website, if you're
using BIND >4.x then you should be running version 4.9.9, as prior
versions >(including 4.9.4) have security issues. Preferably, you should
be >running at least Solaris 8 with BIND versions 8.x or 9.x. > >/ek