[SunHELP] The final chapter with my freezing sun

Jarrett Carver solarboyz1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 16 08:50:43 CST 2003

I can't remember what all has been suggested, so here are a few more tests
(all from the OK prompt):

1. Have you checked the POST results on the system?

OK> show-post-results

This will show you the Power-On Self Test results. If a subsytem has failed
it should show up here. These results should also be output if the
diag-switch is set to true.

2. Have you turned on diags:

OK> setenv diag-switch? true

This will output post results to serial port, and perform extended diags.

3. Have you gone through an interactive boot?

OK> boot -as

This will allow you to see what the system is loading, and will prompt you
for the location of the seconday boot (/platform/`uname -m`/ufsboot) and
kernel to load.

32 Bit Kernel: /platform/`uname -m`/kernel/unix & /kernel/genunix

64 Bit Kernel: /platform/`uname -m`/kernel/sparcv9/unix & /kernel/genunix

Here are the boot procedures from power-on:

1. Power-on
2. checks diag-switch
3. Execute POST (output to serial port if diag-switch=true)
4. init system
5. execute extended diags (if diag-switch=true)
6. Check auto-boot? (if auto-boot=false stop)
7.a diag-device/diag-file (if diag-switch=true)
7.b boot-device/boot-file (if diag-switch=false)
8. Execute primary boot (OBP)
9. load bootblk
10. load & start secondary boot (platform/`uname -m`/ufsboot)
11. load & start kernel
12. Kernel reads /etc/system
13. Kernel initialized
14. Kernel starts init process
15. read /etc/inittab & /etc/default/init
16. Execute RC scripts

Don't know if any of this will help. My thought is the post results are
going to be the key, since it doesn't sound like the system gets to far
after that.

Jarrett Carver           http://www.geocities.com/solarboyz1
solarboyz1 at hotmail.com   Unix/NT Systems Administrator
"When people sigh 'Life is hard', I am always tempted to
ask 'compared to what?'".
               - Sydney Harris