[SunHELP] New disk installed not recognized by Solaris 7

Ido Dubrawsky ido at dubrawsky.org
Sun Sep 8 23:06:00 CDT 2002

On Sun, Sep 08, 2002 at 12:00:06PM -0500, sunhelp-request at sunhelp.org wrote:
> Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2002 12:49:26 +0100
> From: Jeremy RJ Towers <jeremytowers at yahoo.co.uk>
> To: tdchastain at insightbb.com
> Cc: sunhelp at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [SunHELP] New disk installed not recognized by Solaris 7
>
> Hi Tige,
>
> Did you do a boot -r?
>
> HTH
>
> Jeremy
>
> Tige D. Chastain wrote:
>
> >Recently I installed a Seagate ST-32430N in my SS10 box, which is
> >running Solaris 7.
> >When I run the format command, only the original disk is recognized.
> >When I boot
> >the box, it tells me the new disk has a bad or corrupt label.
> >
> >How do I get the OS to recognize the disk?  If I run probe-scsi in the
> >OpenBoot
> >PROM, the OS sees the disk.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Thanks in advance for any advice.
> >
> >Tige Chastain

You need to do a boot -r like Jeremy said.  That will create the physical device
files as well as the /dev links so that format can see the disk.  Also, be
aware that you may have to format the disk on another UNIX before formatting
and partitioning it under Solaris.  I got 5 IBM disks recently and Solaris
would not format them properly (even when I gate format all of the proper
information such as disk geometry, rotation speed, etc).  I ended up taking the
disks, formatting them under Linux and then installing them in the Solaris box.
Worked like a champ.

HTH,
Ido
Ido Dubrawsky               			E-mail:  ido at dubrawsky.org