[SunHELP] New disk installed not recognized by Solaris 7

Ido Dubrawsky ido at dubrawsky.org
Mon Sep 9 17:24:49 CDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 09:39:57AM -0400, Andre' Blanchard wrote:
> Greetings:
>
> Probably stating the obvious but just in case:
>
> On your working system, edit your /etc/format.dat file to include an entry
> for this new disk (Use one of the other entries as a template; replace the
> drive specs with the ones for your new disk.  Then run the format command.
>
> HTH
>
> Regards:

Yep, tried that...didn't help.  I also entered the disk geomoetry manually
through format and about 20 minutes into the low level format it bailed.  As
I said, the solution was to put the disk into a Linux box, format it there and
then reformat it under Solaris.  That did the trick.

Ido
Ido Dubrawsky               			E-mail:  ido at dubrawsky.org
Network Security Engineer				idubraws at cisco.com
dubrawsky.org