[SunHELP] 8 bit color in Solaris 9

Assad Maseed assad at assad.dynup.net
Sat Sep 7 01:15:07 CDT 2002

Hi,

    Well I followed someone's advice and installed using Software CD1 and
now its all up and running, another problem is that it display some stuff in
CDE in 8 bit color and EVERYTHING in GNOME is 8 bit, it looks so damn ugly,
I have a Creator 3D card so I know it can do 24 bit as I have done it before
on Solaris 8.
What I did was I copied the file: /usr/dt/config/Xservers to /etc/dt/config
and edited it, I changed the following line from this:

   :0   Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin/Xsun :0 -nobanner

to this:

   :0   Local local_uid at console root /usr/openwin/bin/X :0 -nobanner -dev
/dev/fbs/ffb0 defdepth 24

This exact setup used to work with Solaris 8 on this same Ultra 10, but here
it does not seem to work. Does anyone have any ideas?

AK