[SunHELP] 2GB Restriction on files

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Thu Mar 14 09:40:09 CST 2002

On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Edward Chase wrote:

| Ah ha!  This would possibly explain why the FTPing of some huge tar files
| the other night kept pooping out at 2GB.  Both machines are Solaris 7, the
| FTP daemon is the proftpd taken from sunfreeware.com
|
| Is the problem on the server side of things or the client side?

Since it sounds like the file xfer was started and going, the ftp client
you are using could open large files (in fact, all binaries that come with
2.6 onwards should have large file support)... so it is most probably your
FTP daemon whose write()s to the new file on the receiving server are
failing, because the file in question has reached the 2GB mark.

I would suggest recompiling your own proftpd, and when you do a 'make',
see if the "-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D__FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" are included in
the compiler command. If they're not, edit the Makefile and add those
flags to the CFLAGS line. 'make clean' and then attempt 'make' again.

| The filesystem is mounted with the largefile option.

And that is a default mount option since 2.6.

/dale