[SunHELP] 2GB Restriction on files

Edward Chase echase at postoffice.providence.edu
Thu Mar 14 09:05:44 CST 2002

At 10:27 PM 3/13/2002 -0500, Dale Ghent wrote:
>On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, Bret Adams - MIS wrote:
>
>| Hey Everybody:
>|
>| Anybody know how to get around the 2GB restriction on file size,
>| particularly on Solaris 2.8.
>
>Well, in Solaris >= 2.6 (this means 2.6, 7, 8, and beyond) the OS and UFS
>filesystem support large files (files over 2GB in size.)
>
>But the application must be compiled to take advantage of 64bit file
>offsets. Just because you're running an OS that supports largefiles,
>doesnt mean your apps automatically can open large files.
>
>man lfcompile

Ah ha!  This would possibly explain why the FTPing of some huge tar files
the other night kept pooping out at 2GB.  Both machines are Solaris 7, the
FTP daemon is the proftpd taken from sunfreeware.com

Is the problem on the server side of things or the client side?

The filesystem is mounted with the largefile option.

I ended up NFS mouting and transfering my files that way.  I first
attempted FTP b/c it's something I know, I had to nose around a while to do
NFS mounting.  I've tried NFS mounting before, it usually is a pain in the
butt.  However Solaris 7 to Solaris 7 was a piece of cake.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu
  Providence, RI  02918   |