[SunHELP] 2GB Restriction on files

Edward Chase echase at postoffice.providence.edu
Thu Mar 14 10:13:49 CST 2002

At 10:40 AM 3/14/2002 -0500, Dale Ghent wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Mar 2002, Edward Chase wrote:
>
>| Ah ha!  This would possibly explain why the FTPing of some huge tar files
>| the other night kept pooping out at 2GB.  Both machines are Solaris 7, the
>| FTP daemon is the proftpd taken from sunfreeware.com
>|
>| Is the problem on the server side of things or the client side?
>
>Since it sounds like the file xfer was started and going, the ftp client
>you are using could open large files (in fact, all binaries that come with
>2.6 onwards should have large file support)... so it is most probably your
>FTP daemon whose write()s to the new file on the receiving server are
>failing, because the file in question has reached the 2GB mark.
>
>I would suggest recompiling your own proftpd, and when you do a 'make',
>see if the "-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D__FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64" are included in
>the compiler command. If they're not, edit the Makefile and add those
>flags to the CFLAGS line. 'make clean' and then attempt 'make' again.
>
>| The filesystem is mounted with the largefile option.
>
>And that is a default mount option since 2.6.

Thank you!

I'll keep this in mind, I shouldn't need to do such large transfers
again.  I'm taking one machine and splitting up duties.  I had to transfer
everything to the second machine and then start pruning off things.  It
should have been easier this way then picking and choosing a bunch of
smaller transfers.

Next I need to get better at sharing disks and tape drives.  Every machine
I'm working with is it's own little universe.  This has pluses and
minuses.  Setting up the NFS mount the other night did end up being helpful.

I wouldn't mind having some of the Sun Netra X1s for web servers, but I
need to come up with a backup solution since there is no way of sticking a
tape drive in there.

  Edward F. Chase III     |   echase at providence.edu
  Providence College      |   http://www.providence.edu
  Computer Services       |   http://studentweb.providence.edu