[SunHELP] solaris rescue

Josh Greenberg mustard_greens at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 4 07:23:26 CST 2002

Jay,

VM encapsulation (in VERY lwo level terms) simply
converts the solaris partitions to veritas volumes,
and offsets the "public region" (writable disk space)
from the superblock so it cant be touched.  When it is
un-encapsulated (for upgrades, etc...), you are simply
moving the original vfstab back and not loading the
kernel modules fro VxVM (vxio, etc..) My point is that
when you boot off CD and mount the raw device, you are
just mounting the block device read/write and VM for
all intents and purposes is out of the picture (as you
are not using the volume manager at this point to
handle the system volumes like you would during a
normal boot of an encapsulated rootdisk.

The rootdisk wasnt converted to Veritas File System,
was it? Were any of the system volumes grown *after*
encapsulation? If they were, you may have some more
issues -- did you have a mirror of the rootdisk?

What kind of I/O errors are you getting?
Some more info may be helpful.

--Josh