[SunHELP] Max partition sizes

Greg sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Jul 2 12:43:38 CDT 2001

> I have an SS5 running Sol7, with plans for Sol8. I am going to add a large
> SCSI disk (30 gig). I wish to set it up as one large slice.
>
> What are the filesystem limits of Sol7 and Sol8?

For UFS the limit on the size of the filesystem is 1TB (terabyte).

> I am not concerned with the
> filesize limits, but the slice size limits and # of files limits.

The number of files is only limited by the number of inodes available
in your filesystem, you can tune that when you create the filesystem
but it's usually unnecessary.

The important limit for sun4m machines is that the root filesystem
must be wholly contained within the first 2GB of the disk.  The size
doesn't matter as much as the location--- the beginning and end of
the filesystem must be within the physical first 2GB of the disk.
That limit no longer applies to sun4u machines.

-greg