Fwd: Re: [SunHELP] Building a firewall with Linux 7.0

Mike Nicewonger sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 20 18:18:57 CST 2001

Joseph Ndoye wrote:

> I know that this group is mostly for Solaris, but I have a need for
> some help.
> My boss is putting me on a project to build a firewall using Linux and
> I really don't know where to stat after installing the Linux OS.  If
> anybody have any experience with that please I could use some guidance
> or any links .

First, Linux is prolly not your best choice. I would recommend OpenBSD. Second,
this is not meant as an insult so please understand that up front.

A firewall is a critical thing. If you have no idea where to go after the base
install then it is likely that you should be very careful with this and is not
likely to be something you should be doing without experienced assistance.

There are tons of FAQ's out there. You should read them. Then read them again.
Next you need to decide what it is you are trying to protect against and what
services you need to allow through the firewall. Did your boss tell you these
parameters???

I hope this is food for thought.

Mike N