[SunHELP] Staging Solaris from Linux

Frank-Christian Kruegel sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 17 00:08:47 CST 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001 00:03:48 -0500, you wrote:

>  I have a Dual 100 MHZ Sun Sparc 10 that I want to load Solaris 7.  I
>have the CDs for Solaris 7, however, I don't have a CD-ROM drive for the
>Sparc box.  I do have 7 Linux machines on the local network that I can
>use to stage the Solaris images from.  Does anyone know of a way to boot
>the Sparc box via tftp from linux and load Solaris via the network?
>
>I have seen the procedures for this if doing it from a Solaris box to a
>Solaris box.  I have also successfully loaded Linux on a Sparc box from
>another Linux box.  The key question seems to be, what is Solaris
>looking for to tell it where the images are, which packages to
>install,etc.

The easiest thing is to install Intel Solaris and use it as Install Server.
The
scripts and utilities are Solaris only, and it is really no fun to make the
whole thing run on anything else.

You will need rarp, tftp, rpc.bootparamd, and nfs. If you have access to a
working Solaris system somewhere else you can backup the install directory
created by the scripts and restore it to your Linux boot server.

Mit freundlichen Gr|_en

Dipl.-Ing. Frank-Christian Kr|gel
IstDa Kommunikationssysteme