[SunHELP] issues with FTP and speed across LAN

Fogg, James sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Thu Dec 13 07:02:17 CST 2001

Definately something LAN related, unless you have a hosed file system/etc.
that your transfering to/from.

btw... I have this argument *all* the time with people. When measuring xfer
speed, don't rely on the ftp clients reported xfer rate, and don't expect
the xfer rate to equal the link speed. Your theoretical max xfer is a little
less than 1/2 the slowing link speed in the connection (or worse if <10ms
latency exists on any link), and that assumes the whole link is dedicated to
you. FTP is a TCP protocol, so it waits for its sends to be ack'ed. I hear
the sliding window argument too, but usually windows are small unless the
links are super clear.