[SunHELP] Switch

Shawn Tagseth sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 18:53:50 CDT 2001

I found this at another employer I once had.  They were on a tight budget so
the parts I used weren't what I would call optimal.

I had some problems (slow transfers/lots of errors) with an ultra 5 and
plugged into a no-name brand 10Base-T only hub (even after disabling
autonegotiation and hard coding /etc/system to 10-half).  I had a small
D-link 100/10 (Dss 8+, was about $150CDN) switch I brought in and it seemed
to clear up the problems (I hard coded /etc/system to 100-full just because
I could).   They have since replaced it with a 3-com 8 port switch (haven't
been there for a while so I don't have the model) and it seems to work just
fine too.

About two years ago the dss 8+ had power supplies that would melt but thats
all good now.

/shawn