[SunHELP] Moving from an E450 to an Ultra-1

Will Mc Donald sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 06:36:51 CDT 2001

Hey all,

I'm trying to restore the contents of an E450 (Solaris 2.5.1) on to an Ultra
1 and I'm experiencing some weirdness that I can't quite figure out. I think
it's something to do with /etc/path_to_inst but I can't quite get what.

I took a level 0 ufsdump of one half of the mirrors of the 450. Booted the
Ultra 1 off CD, repartitioned and newfs'ed it then restored the 450 dump to
its disk. Before rebooting I removed the metadevices by editing /etc/system
and vfstab as needed.

On reboot the system trys to fsck the root disk and fails with...

The / file system (/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0) is being checked
Can't stat /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY

Then tells me to run fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0 and gives allows me to
login in single user mode with the filesystem mounted read-only.

Boot off CD and I can mount and fsck the filesystem no problems. When booted
from CD with /dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0 mounted rw, I can see that the entries in
/dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk are all c4t0d0sX instead of c0t0d0s0.

If I move these links to c0t0d0sX the machine will boot and reboot
succesfully until a boot -r or -a is issued, then it rebuilds all the
devices with c4t0d0sX.

I've tried moving /etc/path_to_inst (to path_to_inst.org) and then boot -a,
same problem. I've tried copying over a path_to_inst from a working Ultra-1,
same problem.

So, what am I missing? I never expected a straight transfer from a 450 to an
Ultra 1 to be entirely painless anyway but this has got me semi-stumped. I
can get the damn thing running but only so long as I don't boot -r/a.

I've had a look through the SunHELP and Managers archives and a reasonably
thorough Google trawl but to no avail.

Any sugestions?

Will.