[Sunhelp] 3500 vs 4500

Yoho, Cindy cyoho at umpublishing.org
Thu Sep 21 12:05:56 CDT 2000

Hi Folks,

I am looking at the specs for the E3500 and the E4500 from Sun's website and
I have a question I'm sure you all can answer for me quicker than a Sun
rep...:-)

The specs say the only differences are in the max number of CPUs (8 vs 14),
the max external disk storage (2 TB vs 4 TB), the max amount of RAM (8 GB vs
14 GB), and the max number of boards (5 vs 8).  It's this last difference
that I am wondering about.  Are these boards the CPU and I/O boards?  In
other words, the more CPUs I add (14 CPUs would take up 7 boards at 2 per)
the fewer I/O boards I have left (7 left for I/O boards if I have 14
CPUs)???

We need to put a 300GB disk array and an AIT tape library on this server.
Would that take up 2 of my boards, or is it figured differently?  What about
the internal devices, like DAT, CDROM, and internal disks - do they take up
a single I/O board?  I guess I'm used to figuring slots, and I'm not sure
what a board contains on a Sun.  With HP (which I'm more familiar with!)
some of the "boards" are half-height, some are full-height and some are 1.5
height.  I may have 5 "slots" but I can put into those 5 slots 10 1/2 height
boards, or 5 full-height, or 3 1.5 height and 1 half-height, etc.

Thanks in advance for your help on this -

Cindy