[Sunhelp] Ethernet puzzle

Keith Ketchmark ketchmarkkeith at uswest.net
Thu Sep 21 12:12:27 CDT 2000

Gary Gendel x3145 wrote:

> I recently upgraded my 10base-T hub to a 10/100 base-T unmanaged switch
> (D-Link DPS8+8).  I just had an anomally that puzzles me....

All

I have seen this also.  But with Diff. switch.  What version of the prom
is in the Ultra 10?  The later versions has some fixes for network.

I think the problem is that some switches can't auto_detect speed and
Duplex correctly.  When the customer put new switch in the problems went
alway.  Hope this helps some.

Thanks Keith

 I shut off an Ultra-10 dataless client unless needed.  The unit has the
> inexpensive Sun supplied ethernet board.  Last night when I turned on the
> machine, I got a message about the network not being connected, Cable problem?
>  Anyway, rebooting or power cycling the machine didn't help, changing ethernet
> cables had no effect, and power cycling the switch didn't help either.  I
> finally got it working by plugging the Sun into the old 10base-T hub.  Once
> the ethernet line was up, I unplugged it from the hub and into the switch and,
> voila!, 100base-T was up and running.  Power cycling the Ultra afterwards
> didn't cause the problem to re-appear.
>
> I don't know whether this is an anomally or something that will happen again
> Does anyone have an idea of what happened?  If it happens again, what should I
> do to isolate the problem?  I suspect the switch, but then again it was
> plugging the Ultra's cable into a 10base-T hub that seemed to cure the problem.
>
> Thanks.
> Gary

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
           Keith Ketchmark
	   Sr. Systems Analyst
           NCell Systems
	   715 Florida Ave S.