[Sunhelp] Ethernet puzzle

Gary Gendel x3145 ggendel at sarnoff.com
Thu Sep 21 12:01:42 CDT 2000

I recently upgraded my 10base-T hub to a 10/100 base-T unmanaged switch
(D-Link DPS8+8).  I just had an anomally that puzzles me....

I shut off an Ultra-10 dataless client unless needed.  The unit has the
inexpensive Sun supplied ethernet board.  Last night when I turned on the
machine, I got a message about the network not being connected, Cable problem?
 Anyway, rebooting or power cycling the machine didn't help, changing ethernet
cables had no effect, and power cycling the switch didn't help either.  I
finally got it working by plugging the Sun into the old 10base-T hub.  Once
the ethernet line was up, I unplugged it from the hub and into the switch and,
voila!, 100base-T was up and running.  Power cycling the Ultra afterwards
didn't cause the problem to re-appear.

I don't know whether this is an anomally or something that will happen again
Does anyone have an idea of what happened?  If it happens again, what should I
do to isolate the problem?  I suspect the switch, but then again it was
plugging the Ultra's cable into a 10base-T hub that seemed to cure the problem.

Thanks.
Gary