[Sunhelp] Backup help!

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Sep 12 22:21:52 CDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 01:49:36PM -0700, Adams, Christopher wrote:
> Anyone know of any good "free" back-up software for Solaris 7?  I'm
> currently faced with backing up a critical directory:
> /ServerData  (/dev/dsk/c0t8d0s6)
> This partition contains "very"critical data for my company.  Working on
> limited resources I have been using "ufsdump" to backup the entire partition
> each time to an individual file and then copying the file across the network
> (slow) to a tape backup on another Solaris box.  In order to get a very
> accurate backup I have to umount the /ServerData partition and then do the
> ufsdump of this partition to a file.  My reason for using ufsdump was
> because we have about 6 gigs of files in /ServerData and my company wishes
> to have all of this backed up or at least to have the partition re-mounted
> and back online in under 1 hour.  The ufsdump seemed to be fast enough to do
> this.  Tar was too slow it seemed and a standard "cp" command to the tape
> device was a nightmare time wise.

Why not ufsdump directly across the network to the remote tape drive?

>From the "ufsdump" manpage on solaris 7:

     f dump_file
               Dump file.  Use dump_file as the file to dump  to,
               instead  of  /dev/rmt/0. If dump_file is specified
               as -, dump to standard output.
               If  the  name  of  the  file  is   of   the   form
               machine:device,  the  dump is done from the speci-
               fied machine over the network using rmt(1M). Since
               ufsdump   is normally run by root, the name of the
               local machine must appear in the /.rhosts file  of
               the  remote  machine.  If the file is specified as
               user at machine:device,ufsdump  will attempt to  exe-
               cute  as the specified user on the remote machine.
               The specified user must have a .rhosts file on the
               remote  machine  that allows the user invoking the
               command from  the  local  machine  to  access  the
               remote machine.

(last time I did this, however, I just used SSH to pipe the output
 of ufsdump to stdout through ssh then redirected that into a
 fifo buffer program and from there to DLT...)

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |