[Sunhelp] Quantum DLT 4000 cartridge tape subsystem

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Tue Sep 12 22:18:55 CDT 2000

On Tue, Sep 12, 2000 at 12:22:42PM -0400, Fuerst, Robert C. (Chris) wrote:
> Ha,
> 	Must be Christmas.
> I was just handed a DLT tape system.
> Anyone have experience with one of these on Solaris/Suns?
> any ideas on what device names and commands it would use?
> I'm gonna browse the web a bit.
> The tapes are HP DLTape IV. so I am concerned it may be an HP only device.
> Thanks,
> 1st

Quantum makes them no matter what the label on the front says.  I've
been using them with SPARCs for years now.

The Quantum page on how to set it up:

http://www.quantum.com/products/dlt/resources/dlttape_resources.htm

more specifically:

Solaris 2.X installation guide:
http://www.quantum.com/app_notes/app_note_018.htm

After installing and testing the drive, I usually make symlinks to
the rewindable and non-rewindable tape devices as "/dev/dlt" and
"/dev/nrdlt" for ease of use.  Other than that, you use it just
like any other magtape drive under Solaris; with tar / mt / ufsdump /
ufsrestore, etc.

Media is expensive - $65 per DLT IV tape, in bulk.

Bill

--
| Bill Bradford      |  www.sunhelp.org |