[Sunhelp] Backup help!

Javier E. Bertoli javier at max.unl.edu.ar
Wed Sep 13 00:30:18 CDT 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Adams, Christopher wrote:

> Anyone know of any good "free" back-up software for Solaris 7?  I'm
> currently faced with backing up a critical directory:

Hi all:

	I've been using "AMANDA" (The Advanced Maryland Automatic
Network Disk Archiver, http://www.amanda.org) for almost a year now, and I
can't recommend anything better.

	I'm using it on the following scenario:

	1 backup server with a 4 GB SCSI tape
	5 backup clients, mixed Unixes (Linux, Solaris), almost 25 GB
of data

	It runs from a daily cron, Mon to Fri, at night, sends me an
e-mail with the results of the backup and it's verification.

	It is highly configurable, for example you can choose:
		- to use Gnu TAR or dump on different clients,
		- whether to compress data or not,
		- whether to use a holding disk or not (sort of cache)
		- decide the network bandwith it should use
		- apply different back up policies to different resources
(when to a full dump, which is the threshold to bump to another backup
level, etc.)

	And it also reorders the backup level for each resource in order
to let them fit on a tape. :-)

	The only drawback is that it's configuration is a little
difficult. But just a little, and only if you don't want to read all the
documentation ;-)

	Saludos

					Javier

         Javier E. Brtoli        |           Centro de Telemtica
                                  |     Universidad Nacional del Litoral
        jbertoli at unl.edu.ar       |           Santa Fe - Argentina
"...recuerda cuando tu padre te deca: "mejor es dar de ms";
        cuando juraste esa noche a las estrellas que tu seras igual..."
                                                                  (D. Torres)