[Sunhelp] UFS logging?

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Tue May 2 19:29:58 CDT 2000

On Tue, 2 May 2000, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:

> Hello all,
> Yet another newby question that I've not found in the man files or at
> docs.sun.com.
>
> I understand it is possible to add logging to the Sun UFS by adding the
> option to the vfstab file. However when I have tried to do that, I've ended
> up with a system meltdown on reboot. Obviously I'm doing _something_ wrong
> here... ;/

What kind of a meltdown?  What OS version?  I assume you're talking about
ufs+ logging by stealing freespace pages for the log within a partition
(as opposed to the Disksuite technique of using a dedicated logging
partition/disk, which has the potential for higher performance).

> A description of how to add this option to the file,  a pointer to where
> that information can be found would be greatly appreciated.

Try the following:

mount -o remount,logging /whatever/your/filesystem/is

Then edit /etc/vfstab and add the "logging" keyword to the last field like
so:

/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s0   /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0   /   ufs   1   yes   logging

Note that system suspending when the root partition uses ufs+ logging is
broken in most OS releases.  It was fixed for Solaris 7 but the bug
cropped up again in Solaris 8.

man mount_ufs has a fair amount of information on logging.

-James