[SunHELP] Please help with HD installation

Adams, Christopher sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 19 09:48:06 CST 2000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C069D3.1463DCDE

I have installed drives in Sun boxes before many times, but this time I am
running into a problem.  My Sun E250 already has 3 drives in it, but is able
to hold up to 5.  Or so the controller card says.  I have 3 drives that read
c0t9d0 - c0t10d0 and c0t0d0  (does this sound right so far?).

This is how I install drives.  I bring the system down, turn it off and open
the drive bay door.  Then I I insert the drive into the next allocated slot.
This would be 0,1,2, (3).  Then I close the door and bring the system back
up.  I then type "format" and look to see if the drive is there to be
selected.  The drive doesn't appear.  I have even tried typing "drvconfig"
to see if I can scan for the drive.

I have not yet rebooted the system with the "-r" option to rebuild the
device tree, but I'll try it.  Aren't the Sun boxes automatically scanning
for the Target ID's of the drives, I mean doesn't Sun OS automatically
assign scsi ID's to the drives?  I have never had to manually assign a
target ID to a scsi device on a Sun box.

What do you guys think is going on, what am I doing wrong or is there a step
that I am leaving out?  Thanks for all of your help Sun Gods!

Christopher A.
Los Angeles, Ca.

------_=_NextPart_001_01C069D3.1463DCDE

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>Please help with HD installation</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have installed drives in Sun boxes =
before many times, but this time I am running into a problem.  My =
Sun E250 already has 3 drives in it, but is able to hold up to 5.  =
Or so the controller card says.  I have 3 drives that read  =
c0t9d0 - c0t10d0 and c0t0d0  (does this sound right so =
far?).</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">This is how I install drives.  I =
bring the system down, turn it off and open the drive bay door.  =
Then I I insert the drive into the next allocated slot.  This =
would be 0,1,2, (3).  Then I close the door and bring the system =
back up.  I then type "format" and look to see if the =
drive is there to be selected.  The drive doesn't appear.  I =
have even tried typing "drvconfig" to see if I can scan for =
the drive.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I have not yet rebooted the system =
with the "-r" option to rebuild the device tree, but I'll try =
it.  Aren't the Sun boxes automatically scanning for the Target =
ID's of the drives, I mean doesn't Sun OS automatically assign scsi =
ID's to the drives?  I have never had to manually assign a target =
ID to a scsi device on a Sun box.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">What do you guys think is going on, =
what am I doing wrong or is there a step that I am leaving out?  =
Thanks for all of your help Sun Gods!</FONT></P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Christopher A.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Los Angeles, Ca.</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C069D3.1463DCDE--