[SunHELP] Please help with HD installation

Chanaka Mendis sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Wed Dec 20 09:44:02 CST 2000

--------------96DABD2B1D337B16F74A447B

"Adams, Christopher" wrote:

> I have installed drives in Sun boxes before many times, but this time
> I am running into a problem.  My Sun E250 already has 3 drives in it,
> but is able to hold up to 5.  Or so the controller card says.  I have
> 3 drives that read  c0t9d0 - c0t10d0 and c0t0d0  (does this sound
> right so far?).
>
> This is how I install drives.  I bring the system down, turn it off
> and open the drive bay door.  Then I I insert the drive into the next
> allocated slot.  This would be 0,1,2, (3).  Then I close the door and
> bring the system back up.  I then type "format" and look to see if the
> drive is there to be selected.  The drive doesn't appear.  I have even
> tried typing "drvconfig" to see if I can scan for the drive.
>
> I have not yet rebooted the system with the "-r" option to rebuild the
> device tree, but I'll try it.  Aren't the Sun boxes automatically
> scanning for the Target ID's of the drives, I mean doesn't Sun OS
> automatically assign scsi ID's to the drives?  I have never had to
> manually assign a target ID to a scsi device on a Sun box.
>
> What do you guys think is going on, what am I doing wrong or is there
> a step that I am leaving out?  Thanks for all of your help Sun Gods!
>
> Christopher A.
> Los Angeles, Ca.

After typing drvconfig you have to type "disks" also.

/gayantha

"Adams, Christopher" wrote:
before many times, but this time I am running into a problem.  My
Sun E250 already has 3 drives in it, but is able to hold up to 5.
Or so the controller card says.  I have 3 drives that read  c0t9d0
- c0t10d0 and c0t0d0  (does this sound right so far?).</font></font>
I bring the system down, turn it off and open the drive bay door.
Then I I insert the drive into the next allocated slot.  This would
be 0,1,2, (3).  Then I close the door and bring the system back up.
I then type "format" and look to see if the drive is there to be selected.
The drive doesn't appear.  I have even tried typing "drvconfig" to
see if I can scan for the drive.</font></font>
with the "-r" option to rebuild the device tree, but I'll try it.
Aren't the Sun boxes automatically scanning for the Target ID's of the
drives, I mean doesn't Sun OS automatically assign scsi ID's to the drives?
I have never had to manually assign a target ID to a scsi device on a Sun
box.</font></font>
what am I doing wrong or is there a step that I am leaving out?  Thanks
for all of your help Sun Gods!</font></font>
After typing drvconfig you have to type "disks" also.