[SunHELP] Device Scan ?

Naresh Narang sunhelp at sunhelp.org
Sun Dec 17 18:55:07 CST 2000

Hi,

1.     I installed Solaris 7 on an Intel based machine. Every time I boot with solaris, it goes into device scan, then I have to do a specific scan of all devices in this machine and then continue to boot from disk. If I don't do this scanning, solaris does not detect IDE controllers, KB, Mouse etc. it detects Network card though. After the scan, it boots normally.

   What could be the reason? This is an Acer system with 6.2 GB HDD and 96MB RAM. It has win 2000 also, Solaris partition is active.

2.    It detects Network card elxl0 but does not assign an IP address to it. Is it because this is a standalone system? I have tried to assign IP address using ifconfig, it is assigned but again lost on reboot. The file hostname.elxl0 exists and entry in hosts file is also done.

Please enlighten me on these.

Thanks,
Naresh

-- Naresh