[Sunhelp] Quality of parts used by Sun

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sun Apr 23 18:30:25 CDT 2000

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 04:09:10PM -0700, Paul Khoury - Tech Support wrote:
> What's wrong with Micropolis?

1.  Total garbage - every Micrapolis drve I ever had, failed.  At one of
my jobs, there was an official policy that anybody who used a Microp drive in
a production system, would get canned.  They were THAT bad.  I had two brand-
new 2.1gig drives go back within 24 hours of a Solaris install.

> At least it's not a Rodime or Microscience.  Anyone remember those?
> Especially
> Rodime - yuck.

Wasnt rodime the company that filled product boxes in the warehouse with
bricks and then shipped them?

> Yeah, Goldstar is CRAP - had one in my old HP Pavilion, and it died - I
> dunno if I still have it, but it works intermittently.
> Someone else I worked with (at OfficeMax at the time) also bought a used
> Compaq (mine was used/cheap), also had a Goldstar, and his CD-ROM stopped
> working also.
> Didn't Sun use to use Toshiba or Sony?  Sony I've found iffy - their
> monitors I like, their CD-ROMs and players I somewhat hate with a passion.
> Really like Plextor and Toshiba.
> Just my 3.5 cents.

If I dont end up going SCSI with this box, I'll put a 40x Toshiba in - thats
what I had in my "built from parts" Ultra5, and it worked great.

Bill

--
|   Bill Bradford    |   Austin, Texas   |