[Sunhelp] Quality of parts used by Sun

Paul Khoury - Tech Support pkhoury3 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 23 18:09:10 CDT 2000

At 05:53 PM 4/23/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I knew Sun cheapened out on the production quality of the Ultra 5 and
>Ultra 10, but when I opened up the U10 I found a *GOLDSTAR* CD-ROM drive.
>
>UGH!  Whats next, Micropolis HDs? 8-)

What's wrong with Micropolis?

At least it's not a Rodime or Microscience.  Anyone remember those?
Especially
Rodime - yuck.

Yeah, Goldstar is CRAP - had one in my old HP Pavilion, and it died - I
dunno if I still
have it, but it works intermittently.

Someone else I worked with (at OfficeMax at the time) also bought a used
Compaq (mine was
used/cheap), also had a Goldstar, and his CD-ROM stopped working also.

Didn't Sun use to use Toshiba or Sony?  Sony I've found iffy - their
monitors I like,
their CD-ROMs and players I somewhat hate with a passion.

Really like Plextor and Toshiba.

Just my 3.5 cents.

Paul