[Sunhelp] Netscape going nuts!

Parris B. Wood pwood at wilma.widomaker.com
Sun Apr 2 20:35:36 CDT 2000

Hi,

        This is kind of off topic but I figured someone here might be
going through what I am or better yet knows how to fix it! I followed the
link for the sun ripened kernel page posted by someone earlier today and
now netscape is pretty broken. Well, the basic functionality is totaly
hosed.

	 Here is what happened:

        The sunrk page loaded (srk_main.html).

        Then netscape starts getting redirected to www.com.au and contacts
        www.namezero.com and www.infospace.com. At which point the session
        ends with a blank page.

        At that point no real loss, someon has an html opps or something.
I move on to to ther things but every single site punched in goes through
the same loop, contacts namezero and infospace ending with a blank screen.

	Thinking netscape is hosed I restart the app. Samething, I figure
maybe something is stuck in memory. Log out of X and reload netscape.
Samething.  At this point I look at the source of the ``blank'' page and
it looks like some wierd layered frame thing. With the borders being set
to zero the page looks invisible. Clean out the cache, still persists.

        Cute joke but its getting this ``always present'' redirect is
getting really annoying. So I blow away netscape from my home directory
and the machine itself. Maybe something got corrupted in one of the
preference files. Rebooted to make sure memory was all clean. Reinstalled.
No change! file:// and ftp:// still work normally. Also getting to hosts
in the form of int.noc.someplace.com seems to work as well, everything
else loops.

        At this point I've rebooted, reinstalled numerous times and the
problem is still present. So I'm baffled how can the problem persist after
the program has been wiped and the memory cleared? I don't think its the
sunrk page itself but thats when this started happening and things haven't
worked since.

	OS is Irix 6.2 and Netscape is v4.08 128bit. I realize the browser
is old but it works fine for me since I never use java and manualy turn
javascript on *if* needed. Thanks for any help, ideas or information!

	I apologize for the netscape question =]

-
Parris Wood
 pwood at wilma.widomaker.com.