[Sunhelp] Mounting a cdrom manually.

Gilles Melanson gilles at vianet.on.ca
Fri Jun 11 09:26:42 CDT 1999

This will seem like a rather silly question, but it's so rare that I've
ever had the need to mount floppies or cdroms w/o being root (at which
point I'd use the magic shortcut - volmgt)

Thing is, in a lab environment, the cdrom won't even be plugged in
(likely) and the floppy will not be under the control of volmgt.

Any pointers here would be really, really nice.. ie: how to mount/unmount
these devices (floppies seem simpler) under Solaris 2.7 (sparc) and keep
them sane in a user environment.

Will Solaris 7 deal with PC formatted floppies?  (for use with StarOffice,
for instance) - will it be able to write to these floppies?

mtools is an option that was suggested to me - I haven't actually looked
at it in depth (short of seeing the output of 'mdir' .. oh joy) .. anyone,
anyone? :)

On a side note, anyone know anything about physical security on Ultra 5s
and 10s?  (ie: the little lock slot on the back of the U10 seems
*really* useless)

--
Gilles Melanson				UNIX System Administrator
gilles at vianet.on.ca			Laurentian University

Please be advised that I no longer work as full-time staff at Vianet.

If you have a support related question, please email support at vianet.on.ca.
Please limit Vianet-related email to critical issues only.