[Sunhelp] Re: Urgently: SunPCi problems

Tom Karpowitz - Jedi Knight tkarp at Sun.COM
Thu Jul 29 15:03:15 CDT 1999

Hi WK,

> (1) His window95-based application has hanged up with "Out of Memory"
> message.  But, all goes well when the application and windows95 media are
> used on PC.  I can't see the error message on PC at all.
> The capacity of physical or virtual memory was enough.

When you receive an "Out of Memory" error from a Windows application, it
means that the application couldn't allocate enough VIRTUAL memory.  The
amount of virtual memory that can be allocated is mostly dependent on the
size of the pagefile; the physical RAM essentially acts as a cache for the
on-disk memory pages.

If your application is exhausting virtual memory, it means that

    - You are managing VM yourself and have specified a pagefile size which
      is too small, or
    - You are letting Windows manage VM, and it is unable to dynamically
      grow the pagefile beyond a certain point

Windows might not be able to dynamically grow the pagefile if your C: drive
size is too small, or the Solaris partition in which it resides is too full.

I'd suggest that you look at the VM settings on a PC where the application
works, make note of them, and then try setting up SunPCi with the same
settings and see if this problem goes away.

> (2) Win95 can't rebooted after the setup of "Banyan Vines" driver and
> protocol.  But, it's okay on PC.

There is a procedure for installing the Banyan Vines client for Win95 in
the SunPCi FAQ on Onestop.

tkarp

Tom Karpowitz                     You carefully open the chest... You see here:
Technical Evangelist                 a blessed +3 mouse of clicking
WWFO Interoperability Group          a potion of Redmondian kool-aid
Sun Microsystems Inc.                a cursed scroll of Windows 98