[Sunhelp] Backup machine

Lynda Morrison lmorrison at eicn.com
Thu Jul 29 12:18:11 CDT 1999

------_=_NextPart_001_01BED9E6.57B65468

I am trying to duplicate a firewall machine so that if there is a problem
with the firewall, I can pop this other machine in place and work on the
problem.  The original machine is a sparc Ultra II with 2 4gig mirrored
drives.  I am trying to duplicate it to a sparc 20 with 2 4 gig drives.  I
can install the solaris software, with patches; I can mirror the drives; but
when I try to "install" the Firewall-1 software, I get a machine panic - bad
trap: data fault and a continual reboot.  I have also just tried restoring
the software from a usfdump.  It is on 2 partitions - /var and / .  I can
restore to a /var/Restore directory, and then move all of var over ... I can
also move all of root - but I know there are some things I should not copy
over in root, as they are different machines.  Could anyone tell me what
directories in root SHOULD NOT be copied?   Thanks for your help.

Lynda Morrison
Certified NetAnalyst
775-886-1141
lmorrison at eicn.com

us at info at eicn.com.

www.mimesweeper.com
------_=_NextPart_001_01BED9E6.57B65468

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>Backup machine</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">I am trying to duplicate a firewall =
machine so that if there is a problem with the firewall, I can pop this =
other machine in place and work on the problem.  The original =
machine is a sparc Ultra II with 2 4gig mirrored drives.  I am =
trying to duplicate it to a sparc 20 with 2 4 gig drives.  I can =
install the solaris software, with patches; I can mirror the drives; =
but when I try to "install" the Firewall-1 software, I get a =
machine panic - bad trap: data fault and a continual reboot.  I =
have also just tried restoring the software from a usfdump.  It is =
on 2 partitions - /var and / .  I can restore to a /var/Restore =
directory, and then move all of var over ... I can also move all of =
root - but I know there are some things I should not copy over in root, =
as they are different machines.  Could anyone tell me what =
directories in root SHOULD NOT be copied?   Thanks for your =
help.  </FONT></P>

<P><B><I><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" FACE=3D"Century Schoolbook">Lynda =
Morrison</FONT></I></B>
<BR><B><I><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" FACE=3D"Century Schoolbook">Certified =
NetAnalyst</FONT></I></B>
<BR><B><I><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" FACE=3D"Century =
Schoolbook">775-886-1141</FONT></I></B>
<BR><B><I><FONT COLOR=3D"#008080" FACE=3D"Century =
Schoolbook">lmorrison at eicn.com</FONT></I></B><I></I>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>