[Sunhelp] Tekram scsi and Ultra 5

mike mangino mangino at cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Jul 7 13:48:28 CDT 1999

> PCI-device: scsi at 1, glm0
> glm0 is /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 1
> sd0 at glm0:
>  target 0 lun 0
> sd0 is /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 1/sd at 0,0
>     <QUANTUM-XP39100J-LYK8 cyl 5847 alt 2 hd 20 sec 152>

Okay, I get the following
/pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 3 (glm0):
        Rev. 6 Symbios 53c875 found.
PCI-device: scsi at 3, glm0
glm0 is /pci at 1f,0/pci at 1/scsi at 3

which tells me the host adapter is recognized.

I don't see any disks ataaching though. I have a matsushita cd-r drive attached to the scsi card which is detected with probe-scsi-all. Do I need to add anything to the default driver setup?

It is probably worth mentioning that I have an IDE hard drive and CDRom in this thing.

I see more information int prtconf, I get this now:
   pci, instance #1
            scsi, instance #0
                disk (driver not attached)
                tape (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #0 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #1 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #3 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #4 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #5 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #6 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #7 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #8 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #9 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #10 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #11 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #12 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #13 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #14 (driver not attached)
                sd, instance #15 (driver not attached)

Is there anything else I need to do to help it find the drive? I'll try attaching a scsi hard disk as soon as I find one.

> After everything boots up, an ls in /dev/dsk should show new entries for
> each drive attached (8 entries per drive, one for each partition entry).
>
> Are you connecting a CD writer?  If so, I highly advise you to go with
> Joerg Schilling's cdrecord, it's a terrific program.  The only catch is
> that the kernel drivers it requires aren't yet supported in 64-bit mode,
> so you would either have to run in 32-bit mode or use the uscsi patch to
> use native low-level SCSI drivers.
>
> If you're just connecting another CD reader then ignore the previous
> paragraph, it should Just Work.
>
> -James

I will eventually want to use cdrecord, but more importantly I want things to show up as regular disks so that I can add some disk and a tape drive.

Thanks,

--
Mike Mangino                   Senior Programmer/Analyst
mangino at cis.ohio-state.edu     manginom at oclc.org
Home: (614) 326-2278           Work: (614) 764-6280