[Sunhelp] Problem on external Hard Drive

Aryanto Rachmad rachmada at vienna.ecid.cig.mot.com
Wed Jul 7 07:29:37 CDT 1999

Hello All,

I have a problem with SCSI external hardisk of my Sun SPARC/10.
I received this following message after I reboot this machine:

.
/dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s7: CANNOT READ: BLK 16
/dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s7: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
.

But after I executed the fsck command, I got this message:

# fsck -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s7
** /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s7

CANNOT READ: BLK 16
CONTINUE? yes

THE FOLLOWING SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ: 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
#

So, I decided to re-format this hardisk using format command, but
the problem still occur. I have already tried to change the partition
and format it again, but it still did not fix the problem.

Do I need to do a low level format? If so, how to do a low level
format on Solaris 2.5.1 environment? Could someone tell me how to
include this bad block in the defect list? Could you please give
some advice what should I do?

The following is the configuration of that hardisk:

format> inquiry
Vendor:   SEAGATE
Product:  ST11200N SUN1.05
Revision: 9500

format> current
Current Disk = c0t5d0
<SUN1.05 cyl 2036 alt 2 hd 14 sec 72>
/iommu at f,e0000000/sbus at f,e0001000/espdma at f,400000/esp at f,800000/sd at 5,0

# prtvtoc /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s7
* /dev/rdsk/c0t5d0s7 partition map
*
* Dimensions:
*     512 bytes/sector
*      72 sectors/track
*      14 tracks/cylinder
*    1008 sectors/cylinder
*    2038 cylinders
*    2036 accessible cylinders
*
* Flags:
*   1: unmountable
*  10: read-only
*
*                          First     Sector    Last
* Partition  Tag  Flags    Sector     Count    Sector  Mount Directory
       0      2    00          0   2052288   2052287
#

Thank you very much in advance for your advice.

Best regards,

Anto