[Sunhelp] How to clone a SUN E3500

angel.morros at db.com angel.morros at db.com
Wed Jul 7 04:07:28 CDT 1999

Hello everybody,

We are trying to clone an Sun Ultrasparc Enterprise 3500 machine to another one
with the same hardware configuration. The target machine has the following
characteristics:

- Four 9 Gb hard disks numbered c0t0d0 (boot hard disk on slice 0), c0t1d0,
c1t4d0 and c1t5d0.

- Solaris 2.6 with Solstice Disk Suite. The hard disk c1t4d0 and c1t5d0 are
configured as mirrors of the hard disks c0t0d0 and c0t1d0 respectively.

These are the steps we have made till now:

1.  We have made a dump of the hard disks c0t0d0 and c0t1d0 to a tape using the
commands ufsdump (of each partition) and dd (dd if=/dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s2 bs=16384
of=/dev/rmt/0 for example)

2.  On the distination machine, after a boot cdrom -s, we have made a restore
from the tapes created in the point 1 to the corresponding harddisks.

3. We have changed the /etc/system and /etc/vfstab files on the hard disk
deleting/modifying all information about Solstice Disk Suite.

At this point, when we restart the destination machine from disk (boot disk), we
have the error "/dev/dsk/c0t0d0s5: no such device". This slice corresponds to
/usr.

Can you help us?

Thanks in advance.