[SPARCbook] Solaris 2.6

Sean Davis erplefoo at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 06:26:18 CST 2004

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 10:57:05 +1100, d neal wise <nwise at spy.net> wrote:
> On 20/11/2004, at 7:56 AM, Sunder wrote:
>
> > There was talk of various linux distros working too...  You might want
> > check the archives...
> >

> I've run OpenBSD on mine for years. Even the PCMCIA adapter is
> supported (finally). You'll need to use an external CDROM, network or
> floppy drive to get it (or probably any free UNIX-alike) going. I need
> to upgrade mine. Haven't actually used it in a while. I'll install
> OpenBSD 3.6 on it and put a document detailing that somewhere useful.

Hmm, I run NetBSD (2.0_BETA, I haven't booted them in a while) on my
two SB3GX's - I've got a question for you: do you run X? If so, do you
have heat issues?

Mine run NetBSD and get on the network just fine, and X works just
fine (800x600x8bit), but using X seems to be the easiest way to make
the sparcbooks overheat that I've found.

This is running on line power, with the battery taken out (so the
charger isn't adding heat) with the sparcbook on top of a textbook so
that air can get to the bottom. After about five or ten minutes, I
don't remember (it's been a while since I tried X on them), they start
overheating and shut down. I've only tried this on the one with 128MB
RAM, the other has 32MB, but I would expect X would overheat it as
well.

--
Sean