[SPARCbook] Sparcbook 3000XT

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Tue Mar 16 12:24:28 CST 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 02:30:16PM +0100, Helena S?derholm wrote:
> I have two questions regarding the Sparcbook 3000XT:
>
> 1) Does the 3000XT take larger than 8G disks, like modern 20G drives?

Dunno 'bout this one.  But I do have a 20G drive in my 3GX.

> 2) Does the OpenBSD 3.4 with Tadpole PCMCIA support work on the 3000XT
> with the Turbosparc 170MHz processor?

The OpenBSD website only lists the Sparcbook 3 series systems as
supported.  I installed OpenBSD 3.4 on my Sparcbook 3GX last night and
am now in the process of compiling all the other stuff on needs to have
a functional UNIX box.

OBSD does support the 3's PCMCIA (tslot) and the P9100 display (pnozz),
supposedly at 8,16,24, and 32 bit depths.  I'm still trying to get it to
go at 32 bpp like I had it under Sol 2.6.

I'd suggest setting up the needed stuff to netboot the 3000XT and
installing a netboot config of OBSD, no need to wipe your disk just to
try it out.  This is what I did before commiting to wiping my disk.

For others wanting to try this, at least on a 3GX, you need to set your
media type to 10base5, don't let it auto-detect to 10baseT, else you
won't get any functional networking.  This one had me stumped for an
hour or so.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org