[SPARCbook] Will this destroy my drive ???

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Sun May 12 14:35:35 CDT 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Super-User wrote:

> Just so Bill doesnt close down the list...
>
> Do you guys think placing the Sparcbook on top of my Ultra 2 while using
> both,
> or sometimes the Sparcbook is turned off, will possibly cause the
> harddrive to be erased
> due to the electromagnetic fields from the Ultras electronics.

I have at times tried to erase a floppy with a magnet. It didn't work
well. The metal casing of a harddisk will act as shielding. Combined with
the specifics of the drive itself I would expect other damages before you
will get any data loss.

Dropping the unit is a far greater risc when it comes to data loss.

Hugo.

--
All email send to me is bound to the rules described on my homepage.
    hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org		http://hvdkooij.xs4all.nl/