[SPARCbook] Will this destroy my drive ???

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Sun May 12 13:59:37 CDT 2002

On Sun, 12 May 2002, Super-User wrote:

> Do you guys think placing the Sparcbook on top of my Ultra 2 while using
> both,
> or sometimes the Sparcbook is turned off, will possibly cause the
> harddrive to be erased
> due to the electromagnetic fields from the Ultras electronics.
>
> Maybe this is a silly fear, but I think I would never put a laptop on
> top of my television
> set, or CRT monitor, anyway. How about a computer?
>
> Its a very convenient place to keep it so please tell me its safe :- )

 What happens when you place a monitor on top of your desktop case? The
shielding of the computer should be enough to handle it.

 I've stacked many computers before... even my SPARCbook, to make a job
more convenient. While I agree, I would never put it on top of a TV (the
heat!) nor a monitor (I wouldn't want it to fall off!) the SPARCbook (or
any other computer/notebook) should be able to hold its own against the
magnetic fields... FCC regulations I do believe.

-Matthew