[SPARCbook] Anybody still use this list?

Ian Spray iws at tadpole.co.uk
Mon Apr 15 06:09:13 CDT 2002

On Mon, 15 Apr 2002 12:02:43 +0100
David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:

> How similar is the 3000XT to a 3GX?  I'm running Debian on a 3GX so might
> be able to help.  Although installing Debian on it was no different from
> installing on any other Sun-a-like.

The problem could be that the S3000 uses a native IDE drive internally
rather than SCSI (or IDE with a SCSI convertor).  I've no idea what the
kernel modules are in the Debian SPARC install kernel, but if IDE's not
there, then the installer will have trouble.

If you want to make the S3000 as similar as possible to a 3GX, then you
might like to try installing to an external SCSI hard drive, and then
taking it from there.  Note that I haven't tried it on either a 3GX or an
S3000, so can only guess at the problem(s).

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-Cycle
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/