[SPARCbook] Re: 3000XT PCMCIA cdrom problem

Ken Hansen sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Sat Nov 10 18:27:05 CST 2001

Whoo-hoo - You are a Lucky SOB!

*Either* you can go up to 8.4 Gigs, *or* you can go as
high as you can afford (20 Gigs for $120?!)...

You have an IDE drive with an IDE <-> SCSI adapter
card, and depending on the card you have, you may or
may not be limited to 8.4 Gigs.

No, I do not know how to tell the cards apart.

If you open the drive sled, you should see a board
bolted on to the drive - that would be removed and
added to the new (larger) HD and then you would
proceed as normal.

You are lucky - that adapter board can cost up to $200
or more (I paid $400 for a 6.4 Gig drive & adapter
card a few years ago, and the price has not gone down
yet!).

Good luck,

Ken

--- Jason King <linuxguru at stny.rr.com> wrote:

> Do either of you or anyone else reading know what
> the largest size drive the
> 3000XT/3000ST will take?  It has a 5 gig (default)
> now.

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com