[SPARCbook] Re: 3000XT PCMCIA cdrom problem - S3000 Hard drive type

Ian Spray sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Mon Nov 12 06:28:01 CST 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001 16:27:05 -0800 (PST)
Ken Hansen <n2vip at yahoo.com> wrote:

[snip]
> You have an IDE drive with an IDE <-> SCSI adapter
> card, and depending on the card you have, you may or
> may not be limited to 8.4 Gigs.

This is where I'm going to upset non-S3000 owners, but the drives in the
S3000 internal slot are all native IDE.  Note that the although the same
sled is used, the connector on the end is the 'other way up' to stop SCSI
and IDE units being mistakenly used.

I'm afraid I can't tell you what the max drive size is, but you certainly
don't need to worry about a convertor board.

(For any historians out there, we kept the external SCSI to be as
compatible with Sun/existing peripherals as possible, and chose internal
IDE as the 2.5" drive manufacturers were stopping production of SCSI units
{or was it because they weren't going to have a large enough capacity ?},
so we pretty much had to use IDE.  Keeping an adaptor board in the sled
was going to get expensive very quickly)

HTH,

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-Cycle
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/