[SPARCbook] Re: P1000G docking/connections etc. - N40 info

Ian Spray sparcbook at sunhelp.org
Fri May 18 09:58:01 CDT 2001

On Fri, 18 May 2001 18:54:55 +1000 (EST), d neal wise <nwise at spy.net> wrote:

> the ibm model is called an N40 (i'll admit being an AIX geek as well as
> BSD one). my understanding is that it wasn't y2k ready (according to IBM).

And according to Tadpole:

http://www.tadpole.com/cycle/support/y2000/other/n40.htm

The OS only went up to 3.2.5, and was a custom build from IBM/Tadpole (never
quite knew who did which part) - there was never AFAIK a followup build, but
I think the patch level went up to A.2 before it all stopped.

I have had one running this year - boot it into any year you please and then
reset the date, but I have only run ssh on it, so there may be many more
issues that I've just not noticed.  This is one machine, however that *does*
loose the internal clock and date settings when the battery runs flat -
there's no separate NVRAM battery, but even a main battery that's too low to
power the system can keep the clock ticking over.  It also has Save &
Resume, which makes boot-up much faster.

To bring things back OT (nearly), the N40 came before the S3, and that case
was a result of the design work done on the N40 (caveat: this was before my
time at Tadpole, so this is just word-of-mouth).

--
Ian Spray          :  Software Engineer     :  Tadpole-Cycle
iws at tadpole.co.uk  :  +44 (0) 1223 428 224  :  http://www.tadpole.com/