[SPARCbook] Re: wanted: HD caddy

Ken Hansen n2vip at bellatlantic.net
Thu Jun 29 18:46:57 CDT 2000

Well, Tadpole wont sell them without a drive inside, and those prices seem
to hit $1K
very quickly (compared with raw drive prices)... To find one on the open
market would
be a real find, and it's value would approach $150 in my best guess.

The ideal case would have an IDE <-> SCSI adapter included, and those
adapters
alone fetch around $150 and up, if you can find them.

So you could be looking at $200 -> $300 for a caddie and an SCSI/IDE
adapter!

If my prices seem high, ask yourself what it is worth to have a portable
system vs.
a desktop system...

Most folks got exactly one caddy with their sparcbook, and if they sell the
caddy,
the laptop is worth *much* less. About $300 less in my opinion. I think the
previous
owner realized the part value exceeded the value of the whole, and sold off
the bits...

I think you have a machine that will run on ext. SCSI drives for quite a
while...

Sorry,

Ken