[SPARCbook] changing domains/IP-addresses on the fly

Rainer Canavan rainer at sevenval.de
Tue Feb 22 10:48:47 CST 2000

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 11:35:30AM -0500, Mark G. Thomas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I'd like to change the IP-address and the domainname of my sparcbook

> If you want the changed hostname and IP address to work immediately,
> you will need to not only change the files but also use `ifconfig` to change
> the interface IP and netmask, use `route` to add and/or remove routes for
> your new default route, and use `hostname` to change the hostame of the
> machine.

I'm already doing this in my script. The problem is that obviously some
daemon(?) remembers the old settings and writes them to /etc/hosts, for
example, breaking those.

> You will still run into problems with services like NFS and printing with
> daemons that are still running from boot-up, but could probably
> just use the existing rc scripts in /etc/rc2.d and /etc/rc3.d to stop
> and start certain services, after changing the hostname.

... sendmail was the most important one. My script already does this.

> I frequently plug my SPARCBook into various client networks, and just
> ifconfig a new address, and add or remove routes as needed, but I'm not
> using NFS, printing, or other services that would have broken with these
> kinds of changes.  I also don't typically bother changing the files, since
> I'm only wanting to use the new address and routes for the visit.

actually it would be ok to have the settings 'only for the visit', but i do
need sendmail, dns and others working, which may require the files to be
changed.

[...]

> I'm very happy with 2.6 on the SPARCBook, just had to get used to not having
> the NCE gui, though frankly I was never that thrilled with NCE anyway.

hmmm... I think I'm going to have to get myself some 2.6 media...

> Mark

Rainer