[SPARCbook] Car

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Mon Feb 21 15:53:54 CST 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Jeff wrote:

> How much shock can the disk take?  I want to get one of those things
> (don't know what to call it) that cops have to mount their laptops on,
> and put it in my car.  Also, has anyone used their sparcbook with a cell
> phone?  How does that work?  Does the modem dial the number, or do you
> have to manually do it?

The smaller disks seems to be less volatile. It does also depend on other
issues. You car may be either very smooth or very bumpy to ride in. But
cops tend to take high wear and tear for granted. The nature of their job
force them to do things you would not considere in your own car.

Using RAM disks or some form of solid state disk would be a neat thing to
cope with that. Those cards for digital camera's now starts to become more
and more attractive for this purpose.

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!