[SPARCbook] Resurrecting sparcbook 2 -- IT WORKETH!

BSD Bob bsdbob at weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu
Wed Nov 17 12:22:12 CST 1999

Ripley's Belive It or Not Time.... I actually got the silly little
SparcBook 2 up and purring, via netbooting from an old IPX SunOS-4.1.1
load.  Nice little brick, for sure.

Questions.....

1.  The VGA output on the back.  What exactly sort of monitor is that
    designed to work with?  It looks like generic VGA, but.....

2.  The keyboard/mouse I am assuming is any old Sun4/5ish keyboard and
    mouse?

3.  I loaded up the GCC 2.1 that came with the Solaris 1.0.1, but it
    seems a tad ancient.   Anyone have any pointers to any archives that
    have any precompiled SparcBook2 stuff?  I was particularly wanting
    Apache and some sort of WebScraper (anything better than Lynx would
    be nice), so I could use it as a portable website.  I don't mind
    compiling Apache, but would like to borrow a precompiled WebScraper
    (Netscape, Mosaic, whatever).  I figure gcc-2.5.8 would probably do
    for general gnuish compiles.

Any insights or suggestions are appreciated.

Anyone know why the keyboard is like pounding meal with a stone?
Very stiff critter it is.  Also, it seems to be keystroke-timing
sensitive.   I guess one gets used to that.

Anyone know what it takes to filter correctly the man output so that
it omits the backspace+underscore when it is piped via man through more?
That is the only irksome thing I have found, so far.

Thanks

Bob

.