[SPARCbook] Resurrecting sparcbook 2 ... how?

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Wed Nov 17 04:20:42 CST 1999

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, BSD Bob wrote:

> > > it is calling from some maintenance password or response code.  Anyone have
> > > any idea what that is, and if it will require a new nvram chip (I hope not)?
> >
> > No, it won't need a new nvram chip (well, it's probably got a flat
> > battery.. but, whooptydoo)
> >
> > You will, however, need to contact Tadpole UK, and be very nice about it
> > too, cos SB2's aren't supported anymore, and they'd be allowed to tell
> > you to nick off.  :P
>
> That would be bad business practice.  I would hope they are better than
> that.  Stiff upper lip, the customer is always right, and all that.

The customer is not always right. These machines won't work properly
anyway within a few weeks. There is an end to supporting old machines.
Normally I would say 5 years after the last unit was sold new. (This is
what Compaq does and they have at least gone to some heavy expenses for a
single machine.)

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!