[SPARCbook] Changed MAC address / Can't boot normally

Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl Hugo.van.der.Kooij at caiw.nl
Sat Dec 18 07:00:49 CST 1999

On Sat, 18 Dec 1999, Markus Mayer wrote:

> I've got some problems with my 3GX since I left it without battery for
> about 1.5 days:

SparcBook F.A.Q.

18. Is it ok to remove the battery for long periods of time?

   No, the battery powers the RTC (Real Time Clock). You shouldn't remove
   the battery except when replacing it or upgrading the memory chips.
   (This info has not been verified and some argue the validity of this
   statement.)

It seems you have just proved this to be right.

> *) The MAC-address changed from 00:00:83:ae:17:69 to 00:00:83:77:77:77.
> *) Whenever it is booting, it shows the SPARCbook-screen then switches to
>    OpenBoot-screen showing the Tadpole-Logo, performs the memory-test and
>    hangs. Nothing except 'Pause-R' works. The only way to get to the
>    OpenBoot-prompt is to press 'Pause-A' while it still shows the
>    SPARCbook-screen. Entering the command 'boot' at the ok-prompt (once you
>    get there) causes it to boot normally.
>
> Is there a way to set the MAC-address to its old value? Has anybody got an
> idea why the SB hangs instead of booting right away?

Go to the open-boot prompt and set things up again. You lost some
important settings. At least the host id and boot step has been cleared
as you found out.

Hugo.

hvdkooij at caiw.nl	http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~hvdkooij/
Use of any of my email addresses for unsollicited (commercial)
    email is a clear intrusion of my privacy and illegal!