[rescue] Fwd: [chiclassiccomp] Some Older/Mostly Newer Sun Equipment

Carl R. Friend crfriend at rcn.com
Thu Oct 12 17:12:57 CDT 2017

On 10/12/2017 05:51 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

 > On 10/12/2017 05:37 PM, Jerry Kemp wrote:

 >> You learn something every day.
 >
 >    They day I don't will be the day I start pushing up daisies.

    I rather suspect that goes for all of us here.

 >> [FDDI] was good stuff in its day.
 >
 >    It was fantastic.  It kicked the snot out of 100Mbps Ethernet in
 > pretty much every way.

    That's because it was designed at the outset for storage use not
interactive use that Ethernet was designed for.  Ethernet, to this day,
remains sub-optimal for large-payload high-density work which is the
hallmark of SAN architecture.  "Right tool for the job.", and whatnot.

    By the by, has anyone heard from Mr. Bill?  I'm starting to get a
bit concerned because I haven't read him recently.

    Cheers!